H-1B Visa Guide

H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa: Get in touch with our seasoned H-1B attorneys to acquire your H-1B visa status


For many U.S. companies, the H-1B visa program is the primary method for bringing professional level foreign nationals to the U.S. in a work authorized status. For F-1 students already present in the U.S., it is the natural progression from a practical training position to a work authorized stay with their OPT/STEM employer. The H-1B visa classification permits a foreign national to work in the U.S. in a specialty occupation position for a temporary period of time. A person may hold H-1B status for a maximum of six years, and it may be issued in increments of up to three years by the USCIS. An employee may receive extensions of H-1B status beyond six years if the person is in the process of applying for employment-based permanent residence, also known as the “green card”. H-1B visas are numerically limited, i.e. the H-1B cap, with a total of 85,000 visas available each fiscal year, but 20,000 of these visas are restricted to individuals who have received master’s degrees or higher from U.S colleges or universities. Our office regularly secures H-1B classification and stays here in the U.S., and for our clients at U.S. consular posts around the world, solving the most challenging H-1B visa eligibility issues. Our office has the extensive experience filing thousands of H-1B visa petitions each year for a variety of specialty occupation positions. We also value our relationships with IT consulting firms that hire foreign talent for in-house and third party placement positions. GILT has successfully secured specialty occupation designations for a wide range of job titles from computer programmer to systems analyst to software developer and beyond. Contact our office to discuss whether your job opportunity qualifies for an H-1B specialty occupation visa!